As you all know, Nearby is the iPhone app that allows you to publish your favorite places onto Platial.
But now, Nearby is also the iPhone app that allows you to publish your favorite places, or your current location, to almost any website in the world!
Send live updates of your location, your observations, your ideas, and your memories onto a map on MySpace, Facebook, WordPress, TyepPad and more, or simply use the built in GeoRSS or KML anywhere you like.
(Instructions are below for linking your iPhone or iPod Touch to a Platial account, as well as setting up your Platial account to push your Nearby posts into specific maps.)
There is something even more powerful, and more exciting, than the geographic impressions of one person on one map, and that is the collected impressions of many people on one map. The ability to publish to a specific map can be enabled on thousands of iPhones simultaneously.
- Imagine a community of cycling advocates spending one day mapping all the dangers and obstacles they come across in a city, live.
- Imagine a cadre of civil rights observers feeding live data into a map about a political protest.
- Imagine a collection of athletes posting their first hand impressions and stories behind the scenes.
- Imagine promotional events where anyone with an iPhone is competing to post the most photos of a particular automobile, or someone wearing a particular brand of sunglasses.
- Imagine environmental groups live mapping toxic concentrations of air pollution, or washed up industrial detritus, or neighborhood trees infected with a certain parasite.
- Imagine a wash of people spreading out over a landscape looking for and mapping the things that connect them as a group.
There is also another benefit to setting your device up live this. Posts that are published into specific 'collections' increase the chances for those collections to appear to other Nearby users in the Collections tab while they are out and about in the world.
How to set up your device and account:
Step 1: FROM YOUR IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH: Link your device to a free Platial account
Step 2: FROM THE WEB: Link your device to a mapFind one of your own maps, or an 'open' map, that you want to link your device to, then click 'post to this map from your iPhone'.
It will open your account page, and automatically fill in the map id field. All you have to do is simply SAVE the changes.
Step 3: FROM THE WEB: Embed the map almost anywhereBack on the map itself, you will find the 'Embed' tool, along with 'RSS' and 'KML' feeds for all your publishing needs.